"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

May 23, 2011

MY ROOM MATE IS THE BEST


I haven't really talked about my room mate on my blog before, but I really should because she's one of the nicest and accepting people I know.  She also makes me laugh a lot because of the way she says things and acts, and I don't think I've ever gotten annoyed at her.  And that, my friends, is pretty spectacular on her behalf.  But unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that she's been annoyed at me before but is too nice to say anything about it.  Why do I say this?

Last night after I came home, I noticed that that the bathroom sink had been cleaned, my items were neatly stacked up and the toilet bin was clean.  I was like "Aw you didn't have to do that!" to my room mate, and I also apologised for being such a slob as well.  I'll be honest - I have only cleaned our room once, and that was during the first week I came here.  All the other times it's been my room mate who swept the floor and cleaned everything else.  I kept saying sorry over and over again, because I genuinely felt sorry for being so untidy and making her do all the work.  But she said something which I hope I will never forget: 

"You don't have to keep saying sorry.  Actions speak louder than words."

Of course I've heard this saying before, and I've probably said it a lot of times of as well, but it really affected me last night.  First of all, the way she said it made it sound like she was comforting me, when she was actually teaching me a lesson.  Secondly, the fact that she is patient enough to teach me rather than complain to other people about me (I think...) made me feel so much more guilty for not doing anything.  I've always been disciplined in the normal Asian way - my dad would yell at me for an hour until I was shaking and then I'd say sorry, but it would never really mean much to me.  

This time it feels different.  Why say sorry with empty words when I can show my genuine apology through actions? I've realised that I can say sorry over a thousand times and the only person it would benefit is me.  It only makes me feel better by saying sorry, but it doesn't help the other person at all.  The only way I can prove my sincerity is by making sure that I do something about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment