"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

May 09, 2011

WEIGHT, I'M NOT DONE YET


My roommate and I were talking about how we felt a different kind of pressure whilst studying here in Korea.  Both of us agreed that back at home, even though the assignments were worth more and probably needed more research or whatnot, the pressure wasn't as intense.  Here the pressure to study and do well is so apparent everywhere you go.  It got me thinking about what kind of pressures are more imminent here in Seoul than back at home and how they've affected me over these few months.  And the one which has probably affected the most is the weight factor.

Like so many other people have noticed, spoken about and warned me - the pressure to be thin is very obvious.  I am not kidding when I say that over 80% of the girls here look like bodies on two sticks.  Their legs are seriously.....진짜 장난아니다.  When you walk the streets of Seoul, you really start to understand how every girl has to be so self-conscious of her weight.  Before I came to Seoul, I read a lot of blogs where the bloggers themselves always expressed their indifference to the Korean thin-ness and how it didn't affect them.  I think it's great that they're not affected by it, but I guess I don't have their self-esteem nor their confidence to build up a wall against the slim-is-beauty propaganda.  I've never been naturally thin, and I've always had troubles with my weight.  So coming to a country where girls spend a lot of time grooming themselves and making sure they don't gain a single pound probably wasn't such a good idea, because I'm bound to be influenced by them.  And sure enough, the pressure and the constant advertisements about body lines and diets are getting to me.  The pressure to look thin and to BE thin is overwhelming.  It's one of the reasons why I would like to go back home and see some 'normal' sized people; "what is normal?" I hear you ask - well, that's another discussion for another time when I'm free.

6 comments:

  1. ^^ it's actually scary propaganda where normal is consider fat, and stick-thin is beautiful..urgh,i'm forever fat then :( hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, right!! totally ruins my self-esteem even more. but then there's that whole debate of what is 'normal' coz of the whole obesity/overweight issues going around in america and australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the weird thing is, i found myself in shocked when i got to know that obesity in Australia is serious. i mean,growing up seeing on tv,Aussie as people who loves their outdoor activities,and all, i'm put to shock when i'm watching Biggest Losers Australia.. 'oh well, wait, what size is normal then?!' aigoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i know what you mean. but unfortunately we've become the fattest nation in the world :( definitely puts a taint on our outdoor image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not really clear to me how you feel the pressure. Is the pressure active (eg. people commenting on your weight) or passive (you see many thin people here and feel that you have to be like them)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. for me it's definitely passive. but i think for korean girls it's active - family and friends telling each other that they should lose some weight, or weight-related comments during conversations or greetings are pretty common.

    ReplyDelete