"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

February 25, 2011

THURSDAY

I spent the whole day of Thursday with no one else but my family (and the people shopping in Woolworths, but they don't really count).  In the morning, I did some last minute shopping with my mum.  I had to buy a new pair of thongs and some more chocolate, as previously mentioned, and I also got a new student ID card from my university after losing my first one.  The university website said that I would have to pay for a new card, which I was ready to do, but then the guy who printed out my card shook his head and said "Don't worry about it", so I didn't!

After the shopping was done, my family and I drove up to Hahndorf, which is a quaint little German village where most of the stores sell, surprise surprise, German produce and other things.  There are also lots and lots of little cafes along the street and small entertainment attractions like a fairy garden and big, cardboard castle which we came across. 


For lunch, we ate at a restaurant called The German Arms.  We ordered three dishes to share since their dishes are huge and we didn't want to eat too much because my grandma was cooking dinner for us later on, and she always cooks more than enough.  We ordered the pork hock, lamb shanks and a trio of German sausages - bratwurst, brockwurst and something-other-wurst.  I liked the pork hock the best, mainly because it had crackling and I love fatty meat.  Heeheehee...


After lunch we just walked around and I took some random photos.  My dad kept saying "You have to take a photo of this? Why are you just taking random photos?" Because they're pretty.  And also because I've developed a slight interest in photography after seeing some really nice photos posted on some photo blogs that I read.  What's interesting about Hahndorf is that it's supposed to be the 'German' village, but we came across a Chinese restaurant, a cheese shop (are Germans famous for their cheese? I don't actually know) and an Australian souvenir shop among other non-German things.  Sometimes I wish places would just stick to being one thing, but I know it's to keep the tourist business alive and to cater to everyone's needs.  But overall, Hahndorf was lovely.  I hadn't been there in a long, long time but I don't think it ever really changes.


At night time, we went to my Grandma's house for dinner.  She had promised to cook quail and roast pork for the dinner, which is why we didn't eat too much at lunch.  In the end she also made sang choy bao (lettuce buns....), fried rice and a cleansing soup.  Like I said, she always cooks more than enough.  We couldn't finish all the food that she cooked, as usual, and we ended up taking some home.  Now that I think about it, Thursday was pretty much meat-day - lamb shanks, pork hock, sausages, roast pork, quail and the fried beef in the sang choy bao.  They say meat is expensive in Korea, right?  So I was only eating what I'll be missing out in the next few months.  I just ate it all in one day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment