"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

February 03, 2011

YAY RED PACKETS!


HAPPY CHINESE RABBIT NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

恭禧發財 & 새해복 많이 받으세요 !

To be honest, our family doesn't really do the whole Chinese festivity thing and going to visit our relatives business in Australia.  We normally just eat a big meal on either New Years Eve or New Years day and that will be it for our Chinese New Year.  I think it's because my parents have been in Australia for so long, and the lack of hype about it (whereas Asian countries start going on about it two months beforehand) doesn't really do much for it either.  We had our monthly prayer meeting last night, so we ate our big meal tonight instead.  My dear mum spent the whole day preparing the food - prawns, oysters, fresh salmon, chicken, vegetables, mushrooms and other (delicious) fungi plus a big pot of soup.  It was so yummy.  I tried to help out with cooking the vegetables, but it ended up being way, way, wayy too salty. I swear I'm a better cook than that.


Oh.  And during Chinese New Year, flowers are a big thing in Asia so mum normally buys red flowers to keep for a few days.  I remember when we were in Hong Kong one year during Chinese New Year, and we went to a flower market.  It was so packed with people.  Flowers from the flower markets are supposed to be a bit cheaper than the ones you buy in florists, but when we were talking to our grandma in Hong Kong tonight, she told us that the flowers from the markets cost exactly the same as the ones downstairs from her apartment, so she didn't bother buying them from the markets because she and my grandpa couldn't be bothered carrying them.  Just a little bit of trivia for you.




p.s. still figuring out how my blog layout is going to work.  I keep changing my miiiind.

No comments:

Post a Comment