"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

February 28, 2011

TOILET WISDOM

The first two days has passed by pretty quick in Seoul, and it was only this morning when I was sitting in the toilet (half-asleep, may I add) and think about what I've experienced so far.  Two days might not seem like a lot of time, but I realised that I have actually lived a really sheltered and comfortable life.  And while that life was really good back home because most of my friends from church had also lived a similar life, it didn't really prepare me for living by myself.

What I mean is that while doing my personal business this morning, I was thinking about how little I knew of social etiquette and how small I felt when I realised I was just a young, naive, inexperienced girl trying to learn about life.  Does everybody feel like this at some stage?  Hmmm...I'll answer my own question, and go out on a limb and say that I don't think so.  For me, it happened only because I really wanted to go overseas and study - to leave my little group at home (I love you guys!) and try something new.  Some people don't ever feel this way, which is fine, but I honestly think that the adventurous spirit goes hand in hand with personal growth of a person.

A Lazy Update is coming up soon, because there's been a lot going on and I haven't felt like writing about all of it in detail so, like how Koreans say: Please anticipate it greatly and I'll try to show a better side of myself.  haha :)

3 comments:

  1. i think you're right, that for those of us who go abroad to study there's definitely a feeling of being inexperienced or not knowing enough - if you just stay in your own comfort zone you'll never feel that way. there's definitely that sort of feeling for me in tokyo, there's soo much i don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely. it's strange because i feel like i'm learning more from my fellow exchange students about their opinions and ways of life rather than my korean buddy/friends. maybe i'm accustomed to it since it's similar to chinese ways? or maybe i've watched wayyy too many dramas ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i had more culture shock from my classmates (those from the US) than from japan. super strange!
    i think dramas can definitely be useful! sure it's not a very true-to-life image of how most koreans live, but i think you get an impression of society and norms. (or if not, at least you'll have something to start a conversation about, asking if people have seen the same dramas as you :p )

    ReplyDelete